FYI: If you buy something through a link in our posts we may get a small share of the sale.
If you’ve made the best pizza dough ever, you might as well top it with the best pizza sauce. Especially when the best pizza sauce is also a 5-minute pizza sauce.
I mean, I don’t blame anyone for going with a premade sauce. I’ve done it myself loads of times. But I used to think making good sauce took time and required the kind of effort I didn’t want to make. Now I know better.
The best pizza sauce starts with canned whole peeled tomatoes. If the tomatoes are surrounded by a watery kind of liquid you can strain it off, but if the liquid is thick-ish you don’t have to bother.
Then you add some minced garlic, some salt, some dried oregano and zizz everything together with an immersion blender. Ideally, you can do this right in the jar you keep the sauce in, so there’s hardly anything to wash.
Then you taste the sauce, and if it feels like it’s missing something, add a little bit of cheap balsamic vinegar–this adds a little sweetness and a little acidity which can vary from tomato to tomato.
(If you don’t even want to have to blend things, you can start with passata, which is strained tomato puree commonly used in Italy and increasingly available at American grocery stores.)
You don’t need to cook the sauce. It will get cooked on the pizza, but this way it’s flavor will remain brighter and bolder.
And really that’s it.
But also, you should know that you just want to apply a thin layer of pizza sauce to your dough.
That will prevent it from weighing down your pizza, help the crust cook correctly, and keep everything in balance. The most common error is putting too much on, so err on the scant side.
- 1 14.5-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, (if surrounded by watery liquid, strained)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Put the tomatoes into a wide-mouth pint jar, add the salt, oregano, and garlic. Blend, briefly, with an immersion blender. That's it!
Will keep in the refrigerator for a week. Will keep in the freezer for several months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- SAN MERICAN TOMATO Crushed Fire Roasted Tomatoes Aseptic Carton, 26.46 OZ
- Ball Collection Elite Pint (16-oz.) Wide Mouth Jars, Clear, 1-Pack of 4
- Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt, 3 lbs - Pack of 2
- Braun MQ505 Multiquick Hand Blender, Black
- Frontier Co-op Oregano Leaf, 0.38 Ounce
- Cuisinart CTG-00-3MS Set of 3 Fine Mesh Stainless Steel Strainers
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 15 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 44mg Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 0g