This banana bread is, right now, my favorite take on the classic. It’s got chocolate. It’s got pecans. It’s scented with cinnamon. And best of all, it’s got a big-crumbed brown sugar streusel topping.
It’s the best of banana bread and coffee cake, which, well, makes for an excellent breakfast for someone with a sweet-tooth and works well for that afternoon snack or dessert.
But there’s something special about using a mix of white sugar and brown sugar, a generous splash of vanilla, a big handful of toasted pecans, chocolate chips or chopped chocolate.
And you’ve probably had banana bread with most of those things before. But if you really want to gild the lily, your banana bread should be streusel-topped.
I doubt it will be the last banana bread you’ll make. But it will definitely be one you make again and again.
For streusel topping
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
For banana bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 very ripe bananas
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate, bittersweet or semisweet
Make the streusel topping
- In a small bowl, add the softened butter, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon and mix with your hands until it forms rough clumps. Set aside while you make the banana bread.
Make the banana bread
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray (or grease with butter). Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt to a large mixing bowl and whisk together until combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the bananas and mash with a fork until no large pieces remain. Add the melted butter, eggs, both sugars, and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until no dry flour remains. Add the pecans and the chocolate and stir gently until evenly distributed. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle the streusel topping over the top in big clumps until the top is well covered. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry, about 1 hour.
- Let cool, then gently invert to remove from pan. Serve. Will keep wrapped at room temperature, for about 5 days.
- USA Pan 1145LF Bakeware Aluminized Steel 1 1/4 Pound Loaf Pan Medium, Silver
- Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract, 4 ounce
- Frontier Organic Vietnamese Cinnamon, Ground, 1.31 Ounce
- L'Etoile du Nord 64% Cacao 32 oz by Guittard
- Bellemain Cooling Rack - Baking Rack, Chef Quality 12 inch x 17 inch - Tight-Grid Design, Oven Safe, Fits Half Sheet Cookie Pan
- Domino Dark Brown Sugar 2 Lb (Pack of 2)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 260 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 39mg Sodium: 197mg Carbohydrates: 34g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 16g Protein: 4g