I love a cocktail made with a good orgeat, the classic almond syrup that’s essential to a Mai Tai, the Japanese Cocktail, and a staple of any tiki bar. You can buy the stuff commercially (my favorite is Small Hand Foods), but the good stuff is not cheap, and the cheap stuff is most corn syrup and artificial flavors that doesn’t even taste good.
The good news is that making your own is very doable. I’ve made my own orgeat many times, sometimes even including cherry pits for the bitter almond flavor.
The bad news is that most orgeat recipes I’ve come across require the almonds to steep in syrup for several hours, which isn’t difficult, but it’s not very helpful if you were hoping to make a bunch of tiki drinks, like, now.
Enter a great little hack from Jamie Boudreau, whose Canon Cocktail Book is a great asset for anyone (especially those looking to create their own Amer Picon). Instead of starting with almonds, he starts with almond milk, makes a syrup with that, and punches it up with some almond extract and some orange flower water.
It comes together in a few minutes on the stove, and it’s ready to use as soon as it’s cool (you could even use on the warm-ish side if you’re in a rush).
And this quick and easy orgeat is nearly as good as other versions I’ve made. It’s not quite as complex as the results I get when I’ve steeped my own almonds, but the reward to effort ratio tough to beat here.
It’s a nice trick to have in your back pocket, and a nice syrup to have in your refrigerator.
- 2 cups plain unsweetened almond milk
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp almond extract
- 1 tsp orange flower water
- 1/3 cup cognac
- In a medium saucepan, heat the almond milk and sugar over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the almond extract, orange flower water, and cognac. Let cool. Transfer to an airtight bottle or jar and keep refrigerated.
- The Canon Cocktail Book: Recipes from the Award-Winning Bar
- Orange Blossom Water (Cortas) 10fl oz (Original Version)
- Nielsen-Massey Pure Almond Extract, with gift box, 4 ounces
- CALIFIA FARMS ALMONDMILK UNSWEETENED 48 OZ PACK OF 2
- All-Clad 4204 with loop Stainless Steel Tri-Ply Bonded Dishwasher Safe Sauce Pan with Loop Helper Handle and Lid Cookware, 4-Quart, Silver (8701004419)
- Cocktail Kingdom Japanese Style Jigger 3/4 oz and 1/2 oz measure - Stainless Steel
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 140 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 1mg Carbohydrates: 34g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 33g Protein: 0g